I suggest you ...

Add option for "Big" and "Small" Skip like XBMC

XBMC has 4 user definable skip modes available during video playback.
Small Skip Forward (Right Arrow) set to 30sec
Small Skip Back (Left Arrow) set to -10sec
Big Skip Forward (Up Arrow) set to 1min
Big Skip Back (Down Arrow) set to -1miin
As far as I can tell these buttons do nothing during video playback. I have found this to be a much more efficient and reliable way to navigate a video file than fast forward and rewind which I understand is difficult to implement in VMC.

67 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • hieroo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that's a media center problem in general. I know how frustrating that is actually, you hit fast forward, wait, hit play, nothing happens then you're miles away from where you wanted to be.

Pretty sure on the media center remote you can use the channel keys to jump back 5 seconds and forward 30 seconds in DVD's.

I've gone down the avi/x264 route with all my TV shows now because I like the way mediabrowser handles individual episodes with metadata and thumbnails plus you don't have to wait for all the fancy intro's, warnings,menus etc you get with DVD's. I use fairuse wizard btw, makes the process very simple.

• michael7oliver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep thanks hieroo I understand that. I guess my gripe is with the way media browser handles my ripped dvds. I find that the all of the ff rw and scene skipping keys are non-responsive. When they do work the play button starts playing up and I have trouble stopping the film from rewinding. This terrbily frustrating when you simply don't here some one say one line and just want to skip back 30 seconds. Perhaps my best option is to simply convert of my ripped DVDs to avi's and do away with the proper DVD structure...

michael7oliver - currently you can skip 30 seconds forward and 5 seconds back, this is built into media center already.

This feature would allow you to make dvd chapter style jumps in all video formats.

• michael7oliver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see the ability to do this in files that do have chapters. The reason for this is skipping a chapter in a film can sometime be 5-15 minutes and I've been finidng the regular ff rw buttons a little unreliable in that they don't want to stop once I've pressed them. The ability to simply skip forward 30 seconds would solve this, making the ff button redundant in my case.

Yes.

This is a lot more effective than ff/rw, and is easer on performance. Essential for files that don't have chapters.

Feedback and Knowledge Base